NewSat recognises the importance of protecting an individual’s privacy. We know that individuals may be concerned about what NewSat does with personal information provided to NewSat. NewSat will take all reasonable steps to ensure that an individual’s personal information is protected from misuse or unauthorised disclosure. The National Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act apply to Newsat from their introduction in December 2001.
Types of Information Held
NewSat may hold the following types of information about individuals:
- name, address and contact details (including email address);
- date of birth;
- bank account or credit card details where an individual has provided these to Newsat for the purpose of acquiring goods or services;
- any information provided in response to any request on a Newsat website;
- service usage records;
- billing statements; and
- communications between any individual and NewSat.
NewSat collects information about an individual in a number of ways, including:
- directly from the individual including through our website;
- from our related companies;
- from an individual’s representatives;
- from our contractors engaged by Newsat to provide goods and services in the ordinary course of NewSat’s business;
- from customers of NewSat who provide information on individuals as part of any service request;
from credit reporting agencies; and
In the event that NewSat is unable to collect any of the personal information, Newsat may be unable to provide services or information requested by the customer or an individual.
NewSat uses personal information for the ordinary operation of its business including:
- to identify an individual;
- to assist customers and their staff to use NewSat’s products and services;
- to provide customers with products and services they require including the administration and management of those products and services;
- for researching and developing NewSat’s products and services including an understanding of a customer’s communications needs for the purposes of enhancing or improving NewSat’s products services;
- informing Customers of changes to NewSat’s products and services; and
- to conduct appropriate checks regarding the provision of the products and services to a customer.
NewSat may use or disclose personal information about an individual to the extent:
- indicated at the time of supply of the information to NewSat;
- required to provide customers or an individual with products or services as requested;
- required for the ordinary operation of NewSat’s website or business (e.g. to inform customers about NewSat activities, products and services.), including:
- provision of information to any outsource providers Newsat employs in the operation of its business;
- NewSat’s professional advisors, including accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- necessary to undertake or provide information for credit related purposes;
- required by law; or
- expressly permitted under any agreement between NewSat and any customer or individual.
NewSat will not use or disclose any information about an individual for purposes other than those listed above without first obtaining the individual’s consent, other than where the use of disclosure is permitted by law.
Collection from third parties
If a customer or individual gives, or directs someone else to give, personal information to Newsat, the customer or individual will tell that other individual (“Third Party”) that:
- NewSat is holding personal information about that Third Party;
Access to information
NewSat may change this policy from time to time. Although NewSat intends to observe this policy at all times, it is not legally binding on NewSat in any way. From time to time NewSat may regard it as necessary or desirable to act outside the policy. NewSat may do so, subject only to any statutory rights an individual has under the Privacy Act or other applicable legislation.